Advertisement

Bartlett S. Durham

Physician

Dr. Bartlett Leonidas Snipes Durham (November 3, 1824-February 2, 1859) was an American physician and entrepreneur whose land, donated for a railway station, became the location of Durham, North Carolina, named for him. Bartlett S. Durham was born and raised roughly 12 miles (19 km) west of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, in rural Orange County. After graduating from the University of Pennsylvania Medical School, he returned to Orange County and, in 1847 or 1848, purchased 100 acres (0.40 km) of undeveloped land in the eastern portion of the county, between settlements known as Prattsburg and Pinhook, likely as a speculative investment, in advance of the planned North Carolina Railroad. In 1849, Durham donated 4 acres (16,000 m), directly adjacent to his estate, "Pandora's Box", to the railroad. The railroad, in turn, named the stop, Durham's Station in his honor. The collection of stores and houses a mile to the west of Prattsburg became "Durhamville" and the site of the new station by the early 1850s. Shortly thereafter, Durham became the first railroad agent in the vicinity of Durhamville, with a liquor license and a stake in the general store. At some point during the early 1850s,  ( Wikipedia article )

Advertisement

Personal facts

Known as
Bartlett Durham,Dr. Bartlett S. Durham
Date of birth
1824-11-03
Place of birth
Orange County
Profession
Physician

Education

Institution From To
University of Pennsylvania

Death

Date of death
1859-02-02
Cause of death
Pneumonia

Comment Bartlett S. Durham on facebook

Advertisement